Follow Me on Flickr

www.flickr.com
Sadie Jewelry Design's items Go to Sadie Jewelry Design's photostream

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Jewelry Design Class Almost Over!

I really do hate that the Alchemy of Objects class is almost at it's end.  I have so enjoyed getting opinions from the instructor and ll the other students in the class.  Since I started late I won't be able to complete all the making challenges before April 20th.  That is a real bummer.

But I have to say it this is the first online jewelry making class i've taken and it was really a blast.  The format with technique videos, design process videos and the Facebook chat portion have been great learning tools.  I have gone over and over the videos to make sure that I have the techniques down pat to continue to build my skill level.

I have finished another piece that I will be posting to the class Facebook site for critique.  The challenge is for texture and I only have one big piece that is very textured.  I didn't have anything else to add so I let that big rock speak for itself:


It's a huge amethyst rock almost druzy like.  There are blue and grey and white striations surrounding the rock which I love.  Since I don't have any beads that are textured I just wire wrapped it together using polished amethyst nuggets and clear glass coin beads.  It's assymetrical in that both sides are a bit different.  I hung a coin bead at the bottom to tie it in with the ones in the body of the necklace.



One thing I learned in this class that I have taken to heart is that you should always try and make the back of a necklace as pretty as the front.  So the clasp I used for this necklace is a vintage rhinestone clasp with some purple crystals to connect it.


This is really difficult to see but it's the best I could do with no light anywhere today.  It's basically just 2 coin beads with a polished amethys nugget.  Also if you can see I connected the necklace to the clasp using the purple crystal beads.  Now to get that jump ring on the right to lay down!!

Here's a closeup of the amethyst pendant:




I know these pictures aren't that great but I think you get the idea of how beautiful this rock is.

The instructor Deryn Mentock is offering a two week extension of this course for those of us who wish to have a little more time and i'm really considering doing the extension.  It's a nominal cost and i believe it would be worth it.  We will see.

I you would like to check out Ms Mentock's blog you can do so here.  The next class she's offering is how to construct a jewelry journal.   This lady is a fantastic teacher and very thorough in what she offers to students.  I can't wait for her class on bezel making which may not be offered for a while since she taught it last in September 2013 (sad face).

Anyway hope you enjoy looking at my attempts to improve my skills and as always comments are welcomed.





No comments:

Post a Comment